Sunday, March 18, 2012

Seeds of Spring

It's here -- unmistakably.

Fifty and sixty degree weather has descended upon us, even on this cold westward hill in Southern Vermont. It's so warm, in fact, I bought a cherry tree yesterday. I can't help but think about planting in the garden and mowing down the old flower stocks from last fall. But not yet!

LESSONS IN GARDENING:

In our climate, we can't afford to wait for seeds to start in the soil outside; at least, not all of them. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and a host of other plants must be started indoors for any measure of successful harvest. Others -- such as peas, spinach, lettuce, chard, and carrots -- don't mind a little chill in the air (and honestly do better without the heat of the summer sun). To any naysayers who proclaim that Vermont is to cold for most plants: cheer up! Plants just need a bit of a boost to get going.

But, before even the cold weather crops can be started in the garden, it must be dry. Tilling in a wet garden changes the soil composition, and in any case, it would be a mucky mess. That's why I have to wait until the soil is drained, and slightly warmer.

Until then, I'll be starting seeds for the warm-weather crops, and crossing my fingers for dry days ahead (I can't wait for snap peas!). For those who aren't keen on starting from seed, I suggest going to the farm market for seedlings. There are plenty of farms in our area that start wonderful seedlings, and I end up buying a few even though I start from seed (some plants are harder to grow than others, and I only have so much time....).

It's unusual working in the garden in March. But, you'll hear no complaints from me. I'm just looking out for that errant cold snap that's sure to come between now and the frost-free date (usually in May).

Until then, happy seeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment